At 05:36 AM 11/25/2007, Stuart Walsh wrote:
>Christopher Stetson wrote:
>>Hi, all,
>>I'm fairly new to this early guitar thing, and I just got a small parlor
>>guitar.  I'm wondering if anyone has any hints for mounting gut or nylgut
>>strings to a pin-style bridge.  I've tried just tying a knot, but it
>>keeps popping out the pin about a 4th lower than target pitch.  I've
>>thought of putting a bead or the little washer from a steel string into
>>the knot, but haven't yet tried it.  Any advice or experience would be
>>appreciated.
>>Best, and keep playing.
>>Chris.
>>

>I've got a 19th century guitar with pin-style bridge. But I'm using nylon
>strings - though I'd like to try gut some time.
>
>Just tying a knot seems to work fine - after I got the hang of it. The way
>I have done it on my guitar is to tie a simple knot at the end of the
>string, then poke the string through the peg-hole in teh bridge, then put
>the peg in, aligning the string with the groove on the peg. Then tighten
>up slowly with pauses, sometimes pushing the peg back down.

I have a couple 19th-c. guitars.  I usually use synthetics, but sometimes
use gut.  I simply knot as well: usually a simple double-overhand knot in
unwound b and e' and a single on the rest.  Gut can be trickier for the
fine strings, but I can make it work in similar fashion to that described
by Rob.

Grooved pins are a relatively recent development.  Both my 19th-c. guitars
still carry old and un-grooved pins.  I'm not certain if it makes much
difference, but I suspect the un-grooved pins might be a little less prone
to allowing knot ejection.

Best,
Eugene