I wrote:
then put the peg in, aligning the string with the groove on the peg. Then tighten up slowly with pauses, sometimes pushing the peg back down.

Grooved pins are a relatively recent development. Both my 19th-c. guitars still carry old and un-grooved pins. I'm not certain if it makes much difference, but I suspect the un-grooved pins might be a little less prone to allowing knot ejection.

Best,
Eugene

That's interesting. I know the bridge on my guitar is not original. But I think the rest is!