I agree with Dave Thomson's comments (below) and will add a few of my own.

We have 3 Trimble Pro XR/Asset Surveyor units that we have used under a
variety of circumstances.  In general, they are very finicky about
multipath reflections (the common problem with working under a canopy or
near large structures).  However, the quality of data you get from the Pro
XR is user-selectable to a large degree.  You can tell it to accept fewer
satellites, lower the horizon acceptable, etc.  But by doing that, you
defeat the whole purpose of using that kind of unit.  For when you
decrease the various parameters in order to accept lower quality
information, your positional accuracy will degrade, also.  The system is
water resistant, not waterproof and it can be slow attaining lock even
under good circumstances.

We have chosen to use the Trimble datalogger and it works for our
purposes.  We have not used their latest datalogger which I understand has
a color display and such.  Also, we have used a device running ESRI's
ArcPad.  I haven't done that and so can't speak to it's utility.

Another factor that may play into the decision process that nobody has
mentioned (which is probably and indication of its importance), is
elevation.  The Pro XR will give better than 2 m accuracy in elevation
pretty consistently.

For establishing points we usually observe a location for 30 seconds to a
minute or so.  30 sec is usually sufficient for submeter performance.  For
relocating points we use the correction signal. that combination has
consistently allowed relocation of pin flags in dense marsh vegetation--my
gold standard for quadrat resampling.

If you're insistent on submeter accuracy then do some planning in advance.
 Trimble (for example) has software that will predict optimal time for
observing the constellation signal, given the parameters that you set.
Doing this in advance will prevent a lot of time wasted waiting for
another satellite to pop over the horizon.

Also, nobody has mentioned proprietary signals for real-time correction.
There are some few companies that offer subscription correction which can
be invaluable in areas not covered by the USCG signal.  Racal (I believe)
offers that service.  I have heard others do also.  I have never used any
of these services so cannot speak to their quality or availability or
price.

A caution about precision and accuracy.  Some units will report a
fantastic number of digits of precision but the accuracy is not equal to
the precision.  It's a good idea to take your unit to a benchmark and
observe the benchmark to compare the unit's output with the benchmark's
actual location.  In the USA the National Geodetic Survey (NGS) maintains
a database that can be queried for their benchmarks.  I think the British
Isles have a similar system maintained by Ordnance.  Probably other
countries offer that service, too.

In closing, I caution new users not to overspend.  Most people don't
really need to have submeter accuracy and all the attendant problems and
expenses with attaining it.  If all you're doing is establishing or
relocating a large plot in a forest or trying to keep yourself oriented in
the field, then a cheap unit will serve you much better and you wont feel
so bad when it drops off the tailgate or falls out of the boat.

---chris

Christopher J Wells, Geographer
National Wetlands Research Center, USGS
700 Cajundome Blvd
Lafayette, LA 70506

337 266 8651
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dave Thomson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: "Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news"
<ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
03/30/2006 09:35 AM
Please respond to
Dave Thomson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: GPS units and accuracy data

I would agree that the GeoXT is not a high caliber GPS unit.  I was
dissuaded from using them by the very helpful techs at GeoPlane
Services:

http://www.geoplane.com/trimble/pathfinderproxrs.html

I have no experience with Leica products, but I wouldn't imagine a
handheld unit could rival the data quality of a backpack unit.  I have
experience with the Trimble TSC1 Asset Surveyor/Pathfinder Pro XR
combination (dGPS) but was looking for the ability to utilize
orthorectified aerial photography in the field during data collection.
I thought that the GeoXT might fit the bill; I was told, unfortunately,
that the GeoXT's resolution was poor, and in particular the Z-axis was
very poor.

Instead, he recommended renting one of their Pathfinder Pro XRS backpack
dGPS units, which they can pair with an Allegro CX field PC which takes
the place of the Trimble data collector.  As you will see in the link
below the Allegro can hold up to a gigabite of data and display color
images very well.

http://www.geoplane.com/junipersystems/allegrocx.html

Of course not everyone can afford a Pathfinder Pro XR/S and an Allegro
CX.  To be honest, I am not even sure how much they would run you
currently.  I did see used Pathfinder Pro XR backpack units sell on eBay
in the $5-10,000 range!  The big questions to ask yourself are: 1) do
you need this level of precision in your data, and 2) do you need to own
one of these setups?

If the answers to the above are yes, and no, respectively, then consider
renting the units from a business such as GeoPlane.  The last quote I
had from them for that setup was $1175 a month.  The techs at GeoPlane
can help you decide what you require without the pressure of a sales
department.

Hope that helps,

David Thomson

PS - I noted that one person discussed the ability to hold a lock on
satellites underneath a tree canopy with a GPS unit (handheld?).  This
is not common.  In fact I was surprised that someone had been 'offered'
data by their GPS unit in such a situation.  Perhaps this is because (I
believe) most handheld units do not have good data quality assurance
functions and will offer any position they 'acquire'.  User beware...

High quality units will not even offer the user any data in such
situations.  The Pathfinder Pro XR/TSC1 combination that I have used in
the past was only able to acquire a 3D lock in the near absence of
canopy; certainly the gap in the canopy had to be quite large (i.e.
expose sufficient sky to adequately 'see' enough satellites).  In some
situations where I needed to acquire whatever data I could, I would
alter the settings to acquire the less accurate 2D data.  Later, while
using the data, I was surprised at it's obvious innacuracies.

The techs at GeoPlane did note that they have range poles can cabling
that they offer with their backpack units, which allow the user to raise
the antenna (what was it?) 10 feet (meters?) - sorry it's been awhile.
They said that this can help one acquire a signal in and around tree
canopies, but (of course) it is no guarantee.