Honorable Forum:

The original questions were:

1) Are scientists making scientific findings readily accessible to the general
public?

2) What can scientists do to improve dissemination of scientific information to
the general public?

3) Do scientists need to be involved in teaching the public about the
scientific method?

The corollary questions (with respect to SCIENCE journalism--not quite the same as news reporting) might be:

1a) Should scientists write all their papers obfuscatorily or take the leap into "popularization" and damn the howling peers?

2a) As soon as they come up with something sensational, sensationalize it--or find a journalist who will?*

3a) Should scientists should learn how to rite rite? Or should they depend on "journalists" to interpret their work and get it right? If the latter, should the journalist have any responsibility for quoting accurately and properly, in context--or not? If the journalist writes misleadingly about the work, either intentionally or because of ignorance or incompetence, what recourse do scientists have beyond making a federal case out of it, perhaps at great pain and expense?

*The Fourth Estate should, however, have the final say on the content of their pieces, but should not depend upon a pack of interns to vet the accuracy of quotes and interpretations that they could, more easily and cheaply get from the horse's mouth. INVESTIGATIVE journalists, should get their information in any clandestine way they can, and report their findings accordingly. There are plenty of big kings-of-the-mountain out their that don't want their questionable work or remarks exposed that journalists don't seem to want to touch. Go get THEM if you want a trophy.

The mystery "Laura" has asked rhetorical questions, of course. But they were good ones. Most importantly, she gets at the big, big elephant in the room: If "scientists" are going to bemoan the general ignorance of the rest of us, it is incumbent upon them to do something about it, not merely shower us with petals of condescension from their Ivory Towers. Noblesse oblige!

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "David M. Lawrence" <d...@fuzzo.com>