Bob Garbowitz wrote:

> I can't answer why a file 10x larger took 55x more time to
> translate.  Neither could Gentran support. It doesn't appear
> to be a RAM limit or other hardware issue.

It's the software design.

Suppose that you have a two trains A and B, with 10 and 100 wagons
respectively.

If you unload all the mail from the train, and sort it, then
processing mail from train B will take proportionally longer than
with A. Why? Because it takes more time per item to sort 100 items
than to sort 10. It also takes more time to find one item among 100
than one among 10.

I assume that Gentran put's a lot in a database (which implies
sorting and retrieving from a sorted collection). The larger the
dataset, the slower the processing ;-)

Obviously, at one point, Gentran use of the database generates so
much overhead that it accounts for more than 4/5 of the total
processing time.

Laurent Szyster
___
  Consultant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>