From: brian lehrhoff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2000 1:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: EDI & ANY to XML translator - opinions wanted

Mentor and Director are the same - small files flow, large files choke.  The only way to achieve throughput on the PC platform is to feed a steady stream of small files.  I can't tell you the optimum size for Director, but Mentor seems to top out at 700-800K per flat file.  The Unix flavor of Mentor does not have this "problem".

Mercator would be a good choice for your solution, but keep in mind that Mercator will read and validate your entire input file before writing.  Make sure your production machine has plenty of memory (fastest) or disk (slower) for the work files.  Same caveat prevails - smaller input files run faster.

Outsourcing?  Glad to talk to you about it.  Also glad to give you a straight answer to your question :)

Anthony Beecher wrote:

We're currently using Gentran:Server NT and we have reached a limit with this tool.
Some of our incoming batches are too large (20 - 30 Megs) for this translator to handle efficiently.
It will translate them eventually, if they are 100% compliant, however if your batch has
a syntax error or standard violation, gentran can't effectively diagnose the error.
We find all of the database activity really slows down this translator as well.

We want to map from EDI to XML files. We want fast translation.

I am considering Mercator, which I have used before, and PaperFree, which some
of my co-workers have used.  I also got a tip to look at BlueStone.  I'd like to be able
to stay on NT.

Based on the parameters I've mentioned, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Anthony Beecher
EDI Analyst

--