From:   Peter Olivola [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Tuesday, January 11, 2000 12:56 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: EDI & ANY to XML translator - opinions wanted

RE: EDI & ANY to XML translator - opinions wantedAd oc SQL means it was
written on the fly by the translator/mapper, not that it was generic.  Ad
hoc queries suffer from not having proper indexes.  Static or compiled
queries create indexes used to optimize execution.  Your description of the
problem matches your guru's description of the cause.  There is a very large
caveat with all this.  Sterling may be able to produce static/compiled SQL,
but the issue is closely tied to the number of records in the tables.  No
two SQL compliant databases operate the same in this respect.  Each has its
own break points and index optimization techniques which vary depending on
table sizes.  Even within SQL-Server, when you cross an optimization
technique threshold on table size performance goes in the toilet again until
the query is recompiled.  Considering the variability of inbound file sizes
it's going to be a real challenge for Sterling to solve this problem.

Short version:  You need to move to a different platform.  The Unix version
of Gentran Server and most other Unix based systems, or TLE or Mercator or
PaperFree or even Gentran Server for NT using something other an SQL-Server
(I hesitate to recommend Oracle, but that's a personal thing.) are worth
considering.
Peter Olivola ([EMAIL PROTECTED])