No, we have not.  We have not dealt with them as people.  We have sent the
CIA in to manipulate their governments and execute their leaders.  We have
used them as we have used every third world country, to further our own
ends.  We have used the Israelis as our handmaiden of political expansion
and control. To believe we are the cool headed statesmen is to buy into our
own propaganda.

We have gone in with the arrogant attitude that we and our way is better.
Conform or we will wipe you out.  America is a great nation and I am proud
to be an American.  I served in the mid 70's when military service was very
unfashionable.  But I know this, we can be very arrogant when we deal with
those that are different from us.

Retaliation, retribution and punishment are not the answer.  We have tried
this also, it only gets people killed, and pisses off those that survive.
It's a spiral down, not up.

My solution?  Understanding.  bin Ladan, if he is the guilty party in this
instance, is probably not a reasonable man.  But you can be sure the
hundreds of his minions that would be killed in a U.S. attack are reasonable
men.  They are every bit as loving, god fearing, intelligent and worthy as
the hundreds of American soldiers that would be involved in the attack.  To
cause their deaths would serve no purpose, solve no problems.  It would only
be the equivalent of throwing gasoline on a fire.

Jesus taught us, Martin Luther King taught us, Peace and love are the only
viable solution.  Understand the people of these countries.  They don't want
war any more then we do.  Bush wants war, Ladan want war.  It furthers their
power, success will make them look good.  The people never want war.  We in
America have a unique position (power): our leaders work for us.  We are in
control.

I'm not saying we can't get through this without the removal of people like
bin Ladan (killing them if that's what it takes).  But it is very wrong to
believe that retaliation is the solution.  It's even worse to view these
people as less than us.  Only when we view them as brothers and sisters can
we begin to solve our differences.

Steve O

Columbia City, Indiana