From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Joe Subich, W4TV
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 11:53 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: Elevated vs. Buried Radials

The SteppIR information is overly simplified.  For the best current analysis
of elevated vs. on ground radials see the extensive data from N6LF -
http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com

In particular, read the comments on elevated radials:
http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/2011/02/comments-on-elevated-radials.html
studies on ground systems:
<http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/2009/12/series-of-qex-articles-on-ground-syst
em-experiments.html>
and studies on elevated radial systems:
<http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/2012/02/elevated-radial-ground-systems-some-c
autions.html>

One of the major red flags with elevated radials - they must be a major
fraction of a wavelength (1/8 wave is a good rule of thumb) before they
really act independently of the "dirt".  Even then, nothing will reduce the
losses in the 1 to 10 wavelength area responsible for forming the low take
off angle lobe.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV