The SteppIR information is overly simplified.  For the best current
analysis of elevated vs. on ground radials see the extensive data
from N6LF - http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com

In particular, read the comments on elevated radials:
http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/2011/02/comments-on-elevated-radials.html
studies on ground systems:
<http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/2009/12/series-of-qex-articles-on-ground-system-experiments.html>
and studies on elevated radial systems:
<http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/2012/02/elevated-radial-ground-systems-some-cautions.html>

One of the major red flags with elevated radials - they must be a major
fraction of a wavelength (1/8 wave is a good rule of thumb) before they
really act independently of the "dirt".  Even then, nothing will reduce
the losses in the 1 to 10 wavelength area responsible for forming the
low take off angle lobe.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV