Hi Joel,

You've asked "why are elevated radials so important". If a vertical is
elevated above ground (perhaps on a post or on a roof) elevated radials are
a necessity because in order to use ground mounted radials you would have to
run a long length of wire down to the ground mounted radial field. In doing
this that wire becomes part of your antenna with an effect on resonant
frequency and radiation pattern.

For ground mounted verticals, elevated radials might be desired if the
installation is temporary/portable or if laying ground radials is too
difficult.

The CrankIR is being marketed as a portable antenna so elevated radials are
the logical choice. I'm sure once the antenna becomes available we'll read
about folks ground mounting the antenna and laying traditional radial
fields. And why not. I can see HOA restricted hams laying an invisible
radial field in the grass and bringing out the CrankIR for a few hours use
while the HOA police are napping.

73,
Mike K2MK

W4JBB wrote