Hi Joel,

The ground beneath the antenna can have two effects:

1. It can become a part of the antenna's equivalent electrical circuit.

2. It has an effect on the antenna's far field due to "reflection" of the
antenna's field

By burying the radials and mounting the antenna on the ground, you increase the
losses of the antenna itself, but improve the reflection coefficient of the
ground, because most of the field is reflected very close to the antenna (where
conductivity is high because of the radials).

By increasing the antenna's feedpoint height, you start to "decouple" the
ground from the antenna's equivalent circuit (the capacity between the radiator
and the ground decreases) but at the same time, the reflection point is further
away from the antenna, so the field "sees" a ground with lower conductivity.
This reduces the far field at low elevation angles due to a nearly 180 deg
phase shift (related to "pseudo-Brewster angle"), if the antenna is low in
terms of the wavelength.

So, the "best" verticals are ground-mounted (if you have something like 15
radials at least and there are no large structures around the antenna) but
antennas up about 1 wavelength are also very good if ground conductivity is
rather low, because at low angles, the fields experience about the same 180deg
phase shift that horizontal antennas see. If the antenna is high enough, the
incident and reflected fields add up by almost 6dB at low angles.

In ON4UN's book "low band dxing", he refers to some measurements performed by
W8IJ and what he found was that low antennas with few elevated radials are
inferior to antennas with (many) buried radials and that the difference was
higher than could be expected from NEC modelling. I think he gave the
recommendation to put up the feedpoint at least 1/8 lambda above the ground.

In these "no radial" verticals, the feedline becomes the counterpart of the
antenna, however, the current can be low, so that this is not necessarily a
problem (depending on the feedline length), but basically you need a
counterpoise because your trx does nothing more than periodically moving
charges from one point in space to another. If  there is no counterpoise, it
has to take and move the charges on the feed line's shield (maybe by capacitive
coupling) , the trx housing or the ac-mains (it only moves charges, but doesn't
create or destroy them, so charge conservation applies). So, there is a
counterpoise, even if you don't see it, there has to be one if the feed point
current is not equal zero (which would mean tx off or infinite impedance).

 I don't remember for the R5, but I think the R7 had very short "radials". In
these antennas, the short radials are part of the antenna, radials + radiator
together form a resonant structure (like in the off-center-fed dipole antenna),
so they are not truly end-fed, and require some broadband impedance transform
plus a current choke because of the imbalance of the load (that is what is in
the box at the feed point). If you provide a current choke, you may have
shorter radials plus longer radiator, both together have to be lambda/half
(electrically, taking all traps into account), however the feedpoint resistance
is higher than 50 Ohms and some matching is required.

Vy 73

Ralf, DL6OAP