From: "Joel Black" <w4...@charter.net>
To: "elecraft" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 8:37:15 AM
Subject: [Elecraft] OT: Elevated vs. Buried Radials

A lot of talk has been going on about radials on the KX3 Yahoogroups
Reflector, but there is so much FOD on that reflector, I usually delete
most of the messages. Although it may have been mentioned there, I have
probably missed it.

Other than for portability, why are elevated radials so important? I
have a ground-mounted 6BTV (not my main antenna) in my backyard. I have
four radials for each band and they were all put in with yard staples.
I did this in the Fall after the last grass cutting. By Spring, the
grass had grown over them. Now, several years later, there is at least
one inch of dirt over them. In all honesty, it's only a backup antenna
and probably needs some radials replaced.

Now, in my situation, there was no way I was going to use elevated
radials. Someone recently posted a link to the SteppIR vertical - the
CrankIR. Looking at the one page from the link, it only mentions
elevated radials. Now, I've never seen a loaded-tower broadcast antenna
with elevated radials either.

Is the only benefit portability?

Please, I do not want to also be accused of perpetuating FOD on another
reflector. I'd prefer you reply directly to me. If needed, I'll
summarize and repost.

Thanks,
Joel - W4JBB