One thing you should know about flying on commercial airlines is that they DO NOT guarantee any electronics that is in checked luggage. I had a kit stolen out of my luggage several years ago by airline employees and I only got reimbursement because it was labeled an enclosure and not electronics. Always carry on your expensive ham gear. Doesn't make a difference as far as TSA inspection.

Most commercially made ham gear looks like some kind of cell phone and is usually passed in the USA. I have found great variance in inspection by airport; generally tighter in small airports. I always carry my license and a business card attached to the radio. Going into Canada you want to bring along your invoice to prove it was purchased in the US to get thru customs on return. You need a passport to travel to Canada these days.

I am planning to take my KX3 on my next trip.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: