I've given up counting the number of times the radio has changed
bands when I meant to change modes or vice versa or the number of
times I've engaged RIT when I wanted to turn off the speaker, the
number of times I've reset VFO B when I wanted to engage split, or
the number of times I've linked VFOs when I wanted to turn on the
KRX-3.  These are the problems with the limited number of tightly
packed, dual function controls and looking the same.

Gee, I've blamed an occasional wrong button push on my advancing years.

I put my K3s to a rather wide range of uses (contesting, DX chasing, various digital modes) and with the sole exception of controls for the 2nd RX, I consider K3 ergonomics quite good. I appreciate that the settings of most controls are memorized on a per band and per mode basis, which means that I don't need to readjust things as often. Indeed, I view the more compact size as a huge plus, because it takes up less horizontal space on the operating desk. For the same reason, the design of the P3 as a separate box allows me to put it on top of the K3 rather than consuming additional desk space. I also appreciate size and weight when I want to carry it on an airplane! One of my neighbors, W0YK, regularly takes two K3s to Aruba in his carry-on (in custom cases by Rose)! I appreciate the reduced power consumption in my partially solar powered ham shack.

One of the secrets of a successful small business is building enough volume for a product to write off development costs, with something left over to pay salaries, take an occasional vacation, and fund development of new products. That requires identifying the market for their products, understanding the needs of those users, and differentiating their products from the competition. From where I sit, Eric and Wayne have been very good at figuring out what products satisfy this condition, and which are unlikely to do so. It also helps if you can build one thing and sell it to everyone (like iPhone, iPad, etc.), so the more things it does well help build volume.

73, Jim K9YC