Well, more good information. Maybe I stand corrected. It's been nearly 4 years since I have read the manual, and my memory may have read more into the statements than it should have.

I refer to page 13, right hand column, halfway down, entitled "POWER". There is a note that reads "To ensure correct save of operating parameters, turn the K3 off /before/ turning the power supply off." When I read that, I thought about the short duration power failures we experience.

Page 44 touches on updating the nonvolatile memory correctly before shut-down either by the power switch, or in this case a 'PS0;' command via the RS232 interface.

As you saw, there was a reply from a contester who had several power outages with multiple K3's without any troubles. That was good to learn of.

I thought If I only use the battery for backup to shutdown, there should be a minimum of charging. I have been using a UPS on the AC supply, but I trust a float battery I can test on the DC. I may abandon the whole idea and stay with the UPS. Sometimes rejection is a good thing.

Note: As I learn more about this radio, I appreciate the thought that went into it's design.

Thanks for the posts, and the bandwidth.

Dick, n0ce