From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Don
Wilhelm
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 12:06 PM
To: Richard Fjeld; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 13.8 VDC power

Dick,

Yes, hydrogen outgassing is a potential problem, and the area containing a
normal lead-acid battery should not only be protected from sparks and
ignition sources, but should also be vented to the outside.

I would suggest that you look at a larger gel cell or an AGM battery.
If you use a normal lead acid deep cycle battery, you could enclose it in a
tight battery box (often used in RVs) which has a vent hose that you could
route outside.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 12/22/2014 2:51 PM, Richard Fjeld wrote:
> Wow, thanks to all for the greatly informative answers.  I gleaned
> many good ideas from them.
>
> This is my concern; I am interested in protecting my K3 from damage by
> not being shut down properly should a power interruption occur while
> the K3 is operating. For this design, I'm thinking about a worst case
> scenario; in transmit mode at 100 watts/20 amps, plus accessories on.
>
> I am concerned about Hydrogen gas while charging a lead-acid battery
> here in the furnace room.  Since I don't need to operate by battery
> power,  I'd like to know your thoughts about if a Gel-Cel battery of a
> 9 amp variety would handle the 20 amp load until I could go to receive
> mode and properly shut down?
> I haven't had any experience drawing that much amperage from a gel-cel
> momentarily.  I don't know if the load voltage would be adequate to
> keep the K3 alive.  I'd need to test it using an older style radio.
> I'm hoping someone has had experience related to this.
>
> Thanks in advance for comments,
>
> Dick, n0ce
>

> On 12/22/2014 1:31 AM, Richard Fjeld wrote:
>> Is anyone floating a battery across their power distribution?
>>
>> Dick, n0ce

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to
> w3...@embarqmail.com

delivered to fptowns...@earthlink.net