On Mon,12/22/2014 11:51 AM, Richard Fjeld wrote:
This is my concern; I am interested in protecting my K3 from damage by not being shut down properly should a power interruption occur while the K3 is operating. For this design, I'm thinking about a worst case scenario; in transmit mode at 100 watts/20 amps, plus accessories on.

You are overly concerned, but having battery backup is a good thing.

Concerns about outgassing notwithstanding, I've never used anything more than the voltage regulator on the power supply to limit the charge, and I've always used ordinary deep cycle batteries. The key is to limit that voltage to what the battery expects, and to limit the charging current to what the battery will take as a "trickle" once it's reached full charge. Those are not difficult to do if you simply monitor battery voltage and charge current.

73, Jim K9YC