Good Evening,

   After a snowy week it is nice to see the sun again.  On Wednesday a bird got my attention from about ten feet away.  He gave me enough time to look him up on three websites.  I watched a Red-breasted sapsucker make his characteristic row of holes around a tree.  First one tree, then the next, all within easy view so I could check his field marks.  Woodpecker #8 on this list https://wildlifeinformer.com/woodpeckers-in-oregon/  While I have not seen him before, I have heard his call; part of which mimics the CW you hear the day after a contest in any rhythmic sound. You know it is CW, you are just not sure which  language they are using :)

   The sun has some large, dark spots.  A pinhole camera should resolve them onto a plane surface.  There is a moderate amount of solar flux, the auroral oval is active.  A few of the spots could flare but any CME would miss us.  However, if an X class flare erupts it blanks the hemisphere facing the sun no matter where the spot is placed.  I wonder if radio communication is even possible near a class O star.  We're lucky to be orbiting a more modest star.

Please join us on (or near):

14050 kHz at 2300z Sunday  (3 PM PST Sunday)
 7047 kHz at 0100z Monday  (5 PM PST Sunday)

73,
      Kevin.  KD5ONS

-

A strange game, the only winning move is not to play.