I'm one of those people with music constantly playing in my head, and I do occasionally end up hearing either two pieces or two different parts of the same piece running concurrently. It's totally in the background -- the music just plays along pretty much no matter what I'm doing, like someone left a record player running. I don't think the "frontal lobe" is involved at all except as an occasional listener. Architecturally, I suspect that the parts of my brain that record and play back music tend to just idle in playback mode, and my conscious brain doesn't do much of anything to suppress them or block it out.