Yeah sight reading too, but it can be a pain. Unless the score is written for
Theatre Organ i.e. with 3 staves - the bottom one being the bass line, with
only 2 staves (such as a piano score) the pedal work does have to be
improvised, whilst sight reading (usually) chords and melody. Sounds like Skip
was really proficient at playing the pedals.

I find the piano more difficult because it relies on touch and finger pressure
to implement expression, whereas the organ usually relies on just selecting
notes on the keyboards and using an expression pedal to control volume.

There are a couple of sneaky tricks that can be put to good use. 2nd Touch is
often used where you press the keys normally and you hear a selection of
voices, but pressing the same keys quite hard against spring pressure a further
set of different voices will be added. This can sometimes be implemented by the
pedals, but it’s not found on many organs.

The 2nd ’trick’ is called Sostenuto (invented by the late John Seng) where you
lay down a chord on a manual, kick and hold the Sostenuto lever, and the chord
is held until the lever is released. This allows you to use the same hand to
play single notes on the same manual.

I must admit that it’s all impressive to watch, but I find it not so much easy,
but quite natural.

I do admire the guys who use break-in when conversing in Morse code, just like
they were having an (almost) duplex conversation with each other. That’s clever
and worth listening to.

73,
Alan - G4GNX
South Coast UK
Elecraft K4D / KPA500 / KAT500 / IC-9700