I don’t consider myself anywhere near up there with the best, but what you
describe is not unusual amongst Theatre Pipe organists. I’m not sure if it’s
something we’re born with or whether it’s learned, mainly by practice.

The organist will often be playing 2 manuals (keyboards) at the same time, as
well as running a bass line with one or both feet, alternating using the right
foot from the bass pedals to one of several expression pedals (volume controls)
or keeping their right foot against a sostenuto (special sustain) foot lever.
All simultaneously with bridging one or both hands to select a note or two on
one or two more manuals, and occasionally selecting some stops or pressing a
thumb piston to select a combination of stops. Sometimes reading music from a
score in front of of them *and* holding a conversation (during the easier
parts).😀

For some reason this message was previously rejected for being too big!! It had
a link with an example of a good friend of mine playing a Theatre Pipe Organ in
a residence in Australia:
I’ll send that under a separate message.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt3S-F2t5ss

Apologies for the off (radio) topic reply, but Wayne started it. 🤣

73,
Alan - G4GNX
South Coast UK
Elecraft K4D / KPA500 / KAT500 / IC-9700