From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olin...@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Beta Firmware
To: "Lee Trout" <trou...@gmail.com>
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Date: Saturday, October 17, 2009, 2:08 PM

This gets to the point where someone wants new PRODUCTION code and features
every couple of months.  Consider that the FT-1000MP had exactly one
release.  The FT1000MP MkV had one release.  Ad nauseum.

Since there is NO precedent of any ham transceiver folding in frequent new
major firmware features mid-model except the K3, there is no precedent of a
reasonable release schedule for ham transceiver PRODUCTION software.
Elecraft is setting the new standard for this.

There is no coding on the planet as difficult as code for hardware, which
requires efficiency, compactness, total attention to timing, vast
creativity, and extensive testing.  Where I last worked, we had the size
(over 20,000 employees) to put 2000-3000 full-time employees in FULL-TIME
code testing.  Frankly, some of the stuff Wayne is putting out, I would have
25 or more full time testers, working on a plan, if the release schedule was
compact.  This kind of investment makes financial sense for something with
100,000+ eventual installations. It does not make sense for a product with
2000 units of 3k $ per year, the loaded cost of testing exceeding the gross.

That kind of investment in the tiny, tiny niche that is ham radio
transceivers is not possible.  If it was REQUIRED, K3 would simply not
happen.  You'd be stuck with the Ikenyu single firmware per model, a lean
feature set, with little change between "models" because a rich  and
substantially changing feature set cannot be fully tested without destroying
the profit margins or raising prices to military levels.

What we have in Elecraft is an in-between strategy, created from a customer
base of kit-builders, where those who WANT to play beta fill in the
un-feasible full-time testing base to make
more-than-one-firmware-release-per-model possible.

Among some there seems to be little patience or appreciation of the
difficulty of the work.

Beyond that, pre-beta testers are catching stuff (note skipped numbers
between public betas), "modifying" our rigs in a way no longer possible
ourselves, and enjoying them.

So, please, DO beta and like it (if you find a problem, report it), or DON'T
do beta and wait for the rest of us to hammer it out.  Just try not to spoil
it for the rest of us.

73, Guy.