This is an important point and one that should be considered in the decision
to get the factory-built K3 or the kit.  Actually the sub-assemblies are
tested as individual units.  But the set of sub-assemblies in a kit have not
been tested together as a system.  The factory system tests are more
rigorous than what most of us can do with the kit and certainly more
rigorous than the kit instructions provide.  And, while rare, it is possible
that sub-assembly tolerances can combine in a way that causes a system
problem.  (However, most, if not all, of such system issues are resolved via
email or phone with Elecraft support.)

So the key considerations are money saved and K3 learning vs. the value of
the factory system testing.  Of course, you can always send your kit K3 to
the factory for the system test but that is likely to be more expensive than
getting the factory-built unit in the first place.

Ed - W0YK
Ed Muns
Muns Vineyard - www.munsvineyard.com
FaceBook - www.facebook.com/munsvineyard