Phil,

How is your manual dexterity?  Can you follow written instructions?  Do
you have 10 to 12 hours of time available to assemble a K3?
If you have answered YES to the above questions, then you can build the
K3 kit.  The value of $200 vs. 10 to 12 hours of your time is for you to
decide.

If you build the K3, fears about adding options, doing upgrades or
performing any maintenance later on will be minimized because you know
how it 'goes together'.  The calibration steps are straightforward and
detailed in the manual - and for some of them, K3Utility has been
upgraded to make some of those even easier than the manual procedure.
Your owner-built K3 will perform just as well as a factory assembled K3
after the calibration steps are performed.

In other words, building the K3 is neither difficult nor complicated..
The warranty is the same whether it is factory assembled or a kit.  If
you have trouble or questions, an email to k3supp...@elecraft.com or
this reflector will likely provide you with the guidance required.

73,
Don W3FPR