Phil,

You will probably get a lot of opinions both ways.  Those who spent the
extra money for "factory built" probably did so for good reason, and are
glad they did.  Most (nearly all?) who opted to do the kit, are probably
just as glad they saved the $200!

All I can add is that doing the kit is not nearly as bad as you might think.
After all, it's more of an "assembly" process than a build.  There is no
comparison to to a K3 kit vs. a K2 kit.  There is no soldering--only
interconnection of various boards.  However, if you feel you are a little
"light" on dexterity, which can be for a number of good reasons, then by all
means spend the extra money for a factory built unit.

The K3 is very well made, and everything fits together very neatly.  Only
one or two steps really require anything that might be considered
"manipulation", and those steps are really very well described in the
manual.  Early kits may have had a slightly more difficult process, but with
3,000 of these rigs out there now, I think any such issues have been
resolved.  In my view, the only "difficult" part was making sure that the
three or four interconnecting cables inside the rig were properly seated.
Otherwise, it is pretty much a matter of just mounting boards, and putting
in a bunch of screws.  It's basically modular construction--just like
assembly of a computer--maybe not even that difficult.

Dave W7AQK