From: Bob - W0GI <b...@gotoloveland.com>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] FT-5000
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Date: Friday, February 26, 2010, 5:03 PM

It looks like the price will be between $5500 and $6300.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0355.html

In that it has a 9mHz first IF with a 300Hz roofing filter available, it
looks like it will be a very good radio.

That said, I don't see why we would compare it to the K3. It's a big heavy
radio, with a lot of knobs.  Some people like big radios with lots of knobs.
I still like my Mark-V for SSB and even CW when the bands aren't crowded.
But the K3 blocking is so superior to the Mark-V, that for pile-ups it is
king.

Like the Mark-V, the FT5000 will have a lot of convenience features. As I
figure out the K3 programmers reference, I will be adding things I want,
like IF/Shift/NR presets through macros for the K3. I think that is fun,
others just want buttons on the radio, and don't want to mess with macros.

Performance wise, the K3 is on top, but it is also a very technical radio.
Some items like AGC and NR have a lot of configuration available. I think
that's a good thing, but others just want to push a button, and will settle
for a good compromise.

I don't have any pressing desire for an FT-5000, but I could buy a used one
a few years from now to replace the Mark-V, once the bugs are worked out,
and it doesn't cost a lot of extra money.

That said, the K3 will be in my shack for a long time. It does everything I
need very well. The Mark-V is just a toy I still like to operate, but it
doesn't do anything better then the K3, other then 200w, but that isn't a
big factor. It just has lots of buttons, and some convenience. :>)

I personaly think a comparison is apples and oranges. Small portable radio
with low current draw vs big, heavy radio that requires an AC power supply.