> But it strikes me as mostly creature-comforts that make the big rigs
> appealing rather than just good basic performance.

The other night I was talking to a ham in Nevada who is an accomplished DXer
and contester, who was really "trying to like" the K3 but just couldn't get
over the "plain looks" of it. He'd seen one in person but wasn't impressed by
the "boxy box". His head told him that the K3 was a better rig, but his heart
is still with the FT-1e6 type of radio.

I told him straight out he wouldn't be happy with a K3. Because a lot of guys
are seduced by the cute, sculptured body of the Japanese rigs that looks like
they just poured plastic and metal into a Jello mold of nooks and crannies.
They can't resist eye candy like lots of blue lights, gobs of silk-screening
makeup and asymmetrical pink buttons.

Any 50-something will tell a younger man contemplating marriage that looks
aren't everything. What really counts is inside that "box", and whether she can
withstand the rigors of raising a family over the long haul. But, alas, some
men are suckers for a pretty face and a bubbly personality, even with all
of its intractable flaws underneath.