<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I realize this is already OT and making any critical comments about K3s is
dangerous in this forum, but how can you say this?

I don't agree at all with that. Critical comments are made all the time, and
the issues are usually fixed.

Some of the comments like "the K3 is noisy" are operator error in my
opinion, and that subject brings up replies that may not sit well with some.

Look at this page. "K3 Alerts, Enhancements and Application Notes". I never
saw a page like that for the Mark-V or the Kenwood TS-950SD that I had
before it. Kenwood did at least have the mods available on paper, while
Yaesu never admits that anything is ever wrong with their rigs.

Like every rig I have owned for the last 35 years of being a ham, the K3 has
issues. The good part, is Elecraft actualy admits to, and fixes problems.

My original Yaesu FT-817 blew the drivers and finals like many others.
Yaesu's response was, "There is no problem, don't beleive what you read on
the internet". Rather then deal with them, I replaced the drivers and finals
with heavier Mitsubishi mosfets. Now I can run that FT-817 into a dummy load
at 5 watts for a hour, and while too hot to touch, it doesn't blow-up. Let
we know if you find anything on Yaesu's site, that admits to any problems on
any of their products. Obviously, they are just perfect. :>)

So while this is all a bit OT, the fact remains that beyond comparing specs,
there are differences that go beyond specs. The K3 has specs and support. A
good combination, even if it needs some fixes. At least you will get the
fixes, and not a run around.