I've been a CW proponent for 52 years, now, and have done my share of
DXing, contesting, and rag chewing. I just sold two FT-1000s (one D; one
non-D) that I've been using for about 10 years in an SO2R station. I
replaced them with a pair of K3s. If I did a time-motion study of my
actions during a contest, my hand would more than likely be either on the
keyboard or the VFO A knob. What matters, though, is what I'm hearing. In
the recent ARRL DX contest, the signals just sounded more crisp and
discernible with the K3 compared with my FT-1000s. Only when I had four or
more JAs piling up on me was it sometimes hard to pull out a call. I
probably operate 99 percent CW, 0.8 percent RTTY, and 0.2 percent SSB. I
don't need AM, FM, full coverage, etc. And, I didn't have to pay for them,
either. Try that with an IC or FT radio. In the end, though, we're all
individuals. One of my buddies who owns a K3 and IC-7800 told me he likes
the Icom better. I hope so. It cost him $7,000 more. I've never used a
panadaptor, but I'm looking forward to playing with a P3. After clearing
the space taken up by the two FT-1000s, I certainly have the room for one
(or two) of them.

73,

Rob K6RB