Since interest was expressed in trying Mesanet PCI cards with the new builds:

To verify that the usermode PCI driver stuff works actually it is _NOT_
necessary to install any of the new kernels (xenomai, rt-preempt); in fact this
is possible with the RTAI kernel running, or some other kernel. Really doesnt
matter - I just tried with 2.6.32.11+drm33.2 which I happened to have installed
and that worked fine, too.

This is not integrated into rtos-integration-preview2 yet and still a bit
raw-hide (I am working on it and a few days to go at most) but in case someone
cant wait;):

The way to do this is to configure --with-threads=posix (no RT threading,
previously 'sim mode'), add --enable-drivers (that was added for hal_parport
with 'sim') and turn on userland PCI support with --enable-usermode-pci. This
has no discernible kernel requirements

so:
- pull this branch:
http://git.mah.priv.at/gitweb/emc2-dev.git/shortlog/refs/heads/usermode-pci
- sudo apt-get install libudev-dev
build:

cd src
sh autogen.sh
./configure --with-threads=posix --enable-drivers --enable-usermode-pci
make LDFLAGS="-ludev "
sudo make setuid

known-to-work configs are: 5i20.ini and 5i25.ini

bug/success reports welcome!

- Michael