<snip>

> 1 -- How long have you been involved in LinuxCNC?

Since about the year 2000, mostly as a lurker.

> 2 -- Do you consider yourself to be heavily involved or only modestly
> involved? What is the nature of your involvement? As a
> developer? As a
> user?

Initially my role was to provide hosting and web site
support during the dark times immediately after NIST was
forced to remove its web pages that "promoted" EMC.
After a few years, the web site work was transferred
back to the newly created EMC board of directors.

I have hung around with the community because of my
interest in the software. Someday, hopefully soon, I
will be offering hardware for sale that is more directly
targeted at the needs of LinuxCNC users.

> 3 -- So you believe that LinuxCNC should be actively promoted
> or that it
> should be left alone to exist in peace?

The status quo suits me. If commercial vendors and others want
to promote it, that is fine, but the organization itself has
plenty to do without adding this task.

> 4 -- Do you come to it as a free and excellent body of code available
> for your own use or do you see it as part of what provides
> their livelihood?

Both.

> 5 -- Should it be protected by strong licensing from those who might
> attempt to use it without contributing back to the community?
> Or should
> it be sown upon the earth freely for anyone to use in any
> fashion they
> wish without the hassles of legal contracts?

I would prefer a lighter duty license similar to the LGPL
that was applied to the core of the HAL code. Contributing
back to the community is great, but the viral nature of
standard GPL licenses scares me. Perhaps the new work on
replacing NML will provide a boundary that can isolate
code modules with licenses of different strengths.

> 6 -- Should there be a formal organization that manages the future of
> LinuxCNC?

Again, the status quo suits me. The community currently
functions mostly like a social club and things happen by
informal consensus. When "formal" crosses the line to the
community having a legally defined entity, leave me out.

> If you come to Wichita, it would be helpful if you've thought about
> these questions. If you don't (and if you care) you should make your
> opinions heard.
>
> [For those who will be in Wichita, I have an additional
> question. What
> is the difference between a meeting and a bull session? My
> answer is below.]

If there is to be an agenda, please try to publish it in
advance and set aside a reasonable but limited amount of time
for it. It would be nice if there was some way to get feedback
from those who cannot make it to Wichita, perhaps by posting
a summary to the mailing list each night.