Am 08.08.2015 um 04:00 schrieb EBo:
> On Aug 7 2015 5:32 PM, Peter C. Wallace wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 Aug 2015, EBo wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 17:13:25 -0600
>>> From: EBo <e...@sandien.com>
>>> To: emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
>>> Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] research on optical encoders

>>> I think it is following on the same idea roughly.  Looking at the
>>> renshaw they claim it can give you 1nm (1e-9m) or 3.9e-8 inches
>>> precision.  I have no idea how they are pulling that off besides
>>> laser
>>> interferometry and ring counting.  Can you suggest another method
>>> that
>>> would work?
>> AFAIK they dont use a laser, just a bright LED thats pulsed to take a
>> snapshot
>> of the barcode, probably with a rather high resolution linear sensor
>> array (or
>> multiple arrays with pixel interleaving)
>>
>> Quite high-sub pixel interpolation should possible with such a setup
>> because
>> of all the duplicated edges
> agreed with the laser/LED.  I would have to study sub pixel
> interpolation to see how much additional interpolation you could get.

You can get really fine results on a theoretical perfect black/white
change and the imaging sensor mounted 45deg. of an almost unlimited
degree of subsampling.
Even with a cheap camera and optics there should be no problem to
resolve down to the uM scale. Problem is the speed of such a construct.
Even with high performance camera systems you have a delay that makes it
imho unusable in realtime positioning.

If you are able to interface the sensor with an FPGA doing the realtime
analysis - well then you have what renishaw probably has build...

What should "relatively" easy to be doable is to add such a slow scale
to recalibrate the machine position regularly.

My first idea was to use a laser mouse sensor, which is easily
interfaceable even with MESA cards - there are ones with SPI interface -
but my application is the calibration of my astronomic mount - which
hardly moves more than 1RPD (Rounds per DAY)...

best regards
julian

Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus Pinneberg
Julian Wingert