Scott, I always preferred to keep it simple.

Compliance is developing a product that complies with specific requirements
stated in applicable national or international standards developed by
recognized experts.

We comply with those standards because that is what our customer base expects
of us, even though customers rarely mention that expectation.

We also comply with the appropriate standards so our products will be
acceptable to any third party who may test or evaluate our products.

Ordinarily the scope of the standard will be all that is necessary to identify
the correct standards.

Most products will have requirements stated in more than one standard.  For
example: there will be a product standard, a transformer standard, a switch
standard, a standard for polymeric materials, a standard for fuses, a standard
for thermal cut-outs, a standard for radio interference suppression capacitors,
standards for appliance couplers, standards for plugs, standard for the power
supply cable, and others.  Then there are the emc standards, the x-ray and
laser standards, etc, etc.

Regards

Lou Aiken, LaMer LLC
27109 Palmetto Drive