Kirk Wallace wrote:
> I did my first CNC lathe thread today. I actually got a thread which, on
> a first try, I didn't expect. I entered parameters for a 20 tpi thread
> and got something like 23 tpi. When I setup the spindle parameters in
> the ini file, I assumed that the encoder input scale should equal the
> number of pulses per revolution (1250 cpr x 4 p/cpr = 5000 ppr).
>
> --- hnc-3a.ini ---
> [SPINDLE]
> # Encoder
> INPUT_SCALE =                   5000
> OUTPUT_SCALE =                  1
> # DAC output to VFD
> DAC_SCALE =                     320

> ---
>
> My thinking is that INPUT_SCALE should not need to be adjusted by cut
> and try, so if the thread tpi is not correct, it must be an encoder
> problem? Maybe missing pulses or noise adding pulses? Thanks for any
> replies.
It could be anything, so you have to investigate.  First, put
halmeter on the HAL pin  ppmc.0.encoder.2.count, rotate the
spindle to a known position, and read thhe halmeter value.
(The above assumes you have the spindle encoder on axis 2, if it
is on axis 3 use that number between encoder and count.)  Now,
turn the spindle exactly one turn and read again.  The
difference should be equal to the expected 5000 counts.  If it
is not, then you should do it 5 times, and see if you get wildly
varying numbers or some consistent value.  You should check your
pulley and belts for slippage.  One other good test is to set up
halscope to look at ppmc.0.encoder.2.delta, which is the change
in encoder reading every servo cycle.  Run the spindle, and you
should get a straight line, possibly with a lot of jitter, as
the encoder is doubly quantized (can't count half a count, only
whole integers, then it is sampled 1000 times a second by the
servo update cycle.)  But, if it shows sharp jumps or dips other
than the +/- one count of quantization noise, that indicates a
problem with the encoder.  It is possible that everything up to
this point was fine because the spindle drive was off, now that
you've turned on the VFD it is creating noise in the encoder
signals.

If the spindle encoder is working fine, then you have to look at
the calibration of the other axes.  A 1" travel dial indicator
with magnetic mount is great for doing these tests.  move to a
place where the indicator reads zero, then move 1/2 inch away
and see if the indicator registers a .500" move.  You can also
check your backlash this way.

If you haven't done the servo tuning yet, you have no business
putting a cutter and workpiece in the machine, it could be half
an inch out of position and you wouldn't know.

Jon