On 21 sep 2008, at 18:54, Steve Hobbs wrote:

> OK, here's what I've found so far.
>
> 1. The ftdi_sio driver is included in the generic 8.04 kernel and the
>   Arduino attaches to port /dev/ttyUSB0 as expected.
>
> 1.1. Both GtkTerm and the Python serial library can then communicate
>     with the Arduino (I programmed it to act like a serial loopback)
>     so the driver appears to be working correctly.
>
> 1.2. The Arduino IDE still fails to connect to the board, firing a
> Java
>     exception:
>     gnu.io.UnsupportedCommOperationException: Invalid Parameter

I only found 2 threads on the arduino about this. I am not sure they
will be of any help.

>     This seems to be an Arduino problem that I'll pursue elsewhere
>     (Thanks for your comments Dirk: I'm sure I have the right port and
>     I've tried replacing librtx-java with no effect).
>     Meanwhile, I can program the Arduino from a Windows XP machine.
>
> 1.3  I haven't yet finished testing whether I can get the Arduino
>     talking to the EMC2 sim since I need to hack around with my
>     config to do so. Jeff's comments and my own tests with Python
>     imply that it should work.
>
> 2. The ftdi_sio driver is missing from the 8.04 rtai kernel, so the
>   Arduino fails to attach to a port
>
> 2.1  Since there's no port attached, neither GtkTerm nor Python can
> talk
>     to the Arduino.
>
> 2.2  I tried using the generic USB serial driver as per instruction on
>     the RepRap forum. (http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?12,4546)
>     The Arduino does bind to a port but generates a constant stream of
>     garbage input in GtkTerm and Python.

Ok, if you really want to try it. Why not use the serial pins 0 and 1
from the deicimila? You need something in between like a max232 to get
the voltage levels from and to rs232<>TTL.

> 3. I conclude I need the ftdi_sio driver for the 8.04 rtai kernel.
>   (I suspect anyone else trying to use the Arduino Diecimila will
>   also).
>
> 3.1  I tried to follow Jeff's instructions to build the kernel with
>     the driver included, but came off the rails at step 3 with:
>     dpkg-src: command not found
>
> 3.2  I tried unpacking the source manually and building from it but
>     hit many errors so I was evidently missing some magic!
>
> So please can someone advise how to complete the build process. I'd
> like
> to know how to build this driver module myself, but if someone has it
> built already I'd be glad to give it a try.

Again, I only know ubuntu from emc2. But I have been using debian for
years. If you are lucky you can use the debian way of compiling
kernels. This will solve dependency's too. Try: apt-get install kernel-
kpkg" this will install all stuff needed to compile your own kernel in
a nice .deb package. Follow this guide:
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian_etch
   You need some more packages to do a "make menuconfig", just follow
the instructions from the howto.

> And a final dumb question so you can be sure how little I know: I
> can't
> simply use the ftdi_sio.ko from the generic kernel with the rtai
> kernel,
> can I?

I was thinking the same thing. Trying doesn't hurt. As long as you are
not machining anything at the same moment. Go to "/lib/modules/name of
generic kernel" and look for the ftdi module. (find * -name *ftdi* )
Insert it with insmod.

I am trying to to compile a kernel with ubuntu, but this is on a mac
with parallels.

Dirk