Fantastic - it works! Thank you for your help Jeff.

Just for the record then, I've rebuilt and installed the kernel
according to Jeff's recipe and now the Arduino talks happily with EMC2
again.

The Arduino IDE still fails to connect to the Arduino board, but that's
for another day since I can program the board from a Windows PC.

What happens next though? Will I forever be operating with a patched
branch of the Ubuntu kernel, or will there be an update that includes
this driver so I can return to the comfort of a release version?

Steve