Andy Pugh wrote:
> 2009/9/30 Steve Blackmore <st...@pilotltd.net>:
>

>> position-interpolated  - that's even worse :(
>>

> Interesting. I think we need help from the big brains here :-)

Are you saying you tried it, and it made things worse?  Well, I am not
surprised
at all.  The velocity info from the spindle encoder is ALREADY smoothed
to some
extent, as we know the sampling nature of the encoder-reading process
neccessarily introduces
some jitter.  Adding an aditional filter to the process just adds more
poles to the response,
in EE-speak.  The basic problem, as shown in your pastebin listing, is
an intermittent LARGE
fluctuation in count rate, if I'm reading that file right.  Every 10-15
samples, the count rate
jumps by 50 - 100%!  No way can you smooth this.  I assume every line in
that file was a
SERVO_THREAD sample?  Now, at the spindle speed you were testing at, how
many
raw encoder counts were you getting per sample?  If it is just one or
two, then such a large
variation is expected; you either got a count or you didn't get one that
cycle.  But, if it was
getting an average of 30 counts every servo cycle, and suddenly reads 15
or 60, this is a
problem that cannot be corrected after the fact.

Are you getting those annoying "Excessive realtime delay" messages when
you start EMC?
Have you run the latency test program for an hour and also while doing
stuff on the screen
(like glxgears)?

Jon