On Friday 02 October 2009, Steve Blackmore wrote:
>On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 12:32:48 -0400, you wrote:
>>And what I think I'm seeing is quantization noise in the time domain, the
>>occasionally very narrow spike probably isn't there on your o-scope.  But
>> it (to me anyway) points to a problem in that the sampling is probably
>> not being done in the base thread, but in the 1 millisecond thread.  Can
>> that not be moved to the base thread?
>>
>>>From that halscope shot, I think I'd slow the spindle revs to 100 just to
>>reduce the noise effects of the sampling jitter.
>
>I've redone that at 100 rpm, and out of interest looked at the pulses
>out for the Z axis, the position interpolation is linear, as shown in
>halscope, the pulses out are anything but! Surely they should be linear
>too?
>
>There are several screenshots so I bundled them into a pdf.
>
>On page 6 I changed the sampling rate to base thread.
>
>http://filebin.ca/wacbfm/screenshots.pdf
>
>Steve Blackmore
>--
Page 5 and 6 show it but not at a good time scale, page 7 from the base
thread sample shows it very clearly Steve.  Noise.  Until that is gone (and
encoder A output could have a closer to 50% duty cycle too, I'd almost return
that one in fact if its sealed and non adjustable), it isn't going to work,
not even if we make sacrifices. :)

I have to assume the encoders cabling is shielded, and the shield ends at the
encoder so there is no connection via the shield to the machine by way of how
the encoder is mounted and driven.  That would be what we call a ground loop,
and that is usually a no-no.

And that with everything unplugged from power, that there is good continuity
from the encoder cable shielding all the way back to the computers case.

I think what we need to see is both a good picture of the encoder, a good pix
of where the encoder cable is connected into the system, and maybe some ohm-
meter readings between the computer's ground and the machine's ground with
all power cables connected to power. Something is letting noise into that
circuit, or forcing it as the case may be.

Basically, there should be a good connection from the machine frame to the
round pin of the wall socket it is plugged into, and a good connection from
the shielding of the encoder cable back to the round pin of the socket the
computer is plugged into, and if the machine is unplugged, there should not
be any continuity from the machine frame to the computer case.  And there
should be a very low, under 1 or 2 ohms, connection between the round holes
of the duplex the computer is plugged into, and the round hole of the duplex
the machine is plugged into.  Preferably on the same circuit breaker.  A
different circuit means it would have to go all the way back to the service
entrance box to hit the common 'static' ground.   That is a lot of wire
acting like an antenna, and it could get pretty noisy.

This next test is sorta last ditch, but will detect poor work by past
electricians who really should turn in their card, they didn't pass the test.

Open the service box (it goes without saying, be careful) and trace the
circuit the computer is running on, then turn off that breaker, lift the
white wire of that cable away from the neutral buss and turn the breaker back
on, now nothing on that circuit should have power, but that white wire will
now have line voltage on it if anything on the circuit is turned on.  It
might read up to 50 volts with everything off just from capacitance on that
circuit, so use a 4 to 15 watt lamp to detect that, if it lights,  something
is still turned on.

If everything still works mostly normal, there is a non-code connection out
there, so then put the white wire back on the neutral buss (turn the breaker
off so you don't get zapped & put the service box  back together, leaving
that breaker off & follow that circuit through every junction box it hits
until you find where it is connected, white (neutral wire) to the static
(bare wire) ground, and disconnect it.  Whites to whites ok, bares to bares
ok, but not together.  You may even have to replace some old, no static
ground romex cable with modern cable that has the w/g in its type number.
The static ground, and the neutral cannot be connected together _anyplace_
but at the neutral buss of the service entrance breaker box.  And that point
should have 2, 8 gauge ground wires to ground rods, going as close to
straight down as possible bearing in mind the ground rods they have to
connect to have to be a certain distance apart according to the NEC.

Good luck.

--
Cheers, Gene

I am having FUN...  I wonder if it's NET FUN or GROSS FUN?