On Saturday 03 October 2009, Steve Blackmore wrote:
>On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 15:24:24 -0400, you wrote:
>>Page 5 and 6 show it but not at a good time scale, page 7 from the base
>>thread sample shows it very clearly Steve.  Noise.  Until that is gone
>> (and encoder A output could have a closer to 50% duty cycle too, I'd
>> almost return that one in fact if its sealed and non adjustable), it
>> isn't going to work, not even if we make sacrifices. :)
>>
>>I have to assume the encoders cabling is shielded, and the shield ends at
>> the encoder so there is no connection via the shield to the machine by
>> way of how the encoder is mounted and driven.  That would be what we call
>> a ground loop, and that is usually a no-no.
>
>Thanks Gene, that gave me clue and I found it - The encoder cable had a
>strand from the shield touching the plug at the controller end. Much,
>much better now, but still has the odd glitch, from where I don't know.
>disconnecting all the grounds didn't get rid of it.
>
>As for the 50% duty cycle, can't do anything about that other than
>replace the encoder.
>
>But - running at slow speed it's MUCH better, and running my test 1.5mm
>pitch test file at my normal 700 rpm it's not noticeable at all.
>
>Have a look at the difference :)
>
>http://filebin.ca/brcenc/encoder.pdf

That looks better, but something is still giving the encoder.0.velocity a big
kick occasionally.  One page one it almost corresponds  to the single pulse
in the bottom, white trace that I don't see a caption for, and looks like its
quite close to the edge of the non-50% A trace.  Except for that big spike,
which corresponds to a single pulse, not a dual pulse, in the bottom trace
for each half cycle of the encoder b signal.

The expanded version on page 6 looks as if its working there.

>Steve Blackmore
>--

Cheers, Gene

Simon: "It was either that or the National Anthem.  Reports vary."
                                --Episode #14, "Objects in Space"