> The Atom330 has one CPU, if I understand correctly, but the BIOS has a
> setting for HyperThreading, so Ubuntu thinks there are two CPUs. Has
> anyone experimented with HT on/off to see the effect on realtime
> latency? (would I need an SMP-realtime kernel?)

The Atom330 is a dual-core CPU. That means that with SMP packages you
probably would get better performance.
Question: do you need that? I don't think so, for a servo machine even 50k
ns latency is ok.
There are some SMP packages in experimental [1] but they have the
disadvantage that you won't always get the latest emc2 version in automatic
updates, and if no-one builds it you need to build it yourself from source.

I had terrible bad experiences with HT on older P4 processors. It's best to
keep it off for RT work.

Regards,
Alex

[1] - http://linuxcnc.org/experimental/hardy/smp/