On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 21:49 -0800, Kirk Wallace wrote:
... snip
> It seems to work. I jury rigged a breadboard and massaged my ADC comp
> into a absolute encoder comp. I get an output from 0 to 1023 as I rotate
> the shaft magnet. Now, I need to machine a housing with a shaft, bearing
> and terminal strip and give it another test. I'll post the Halscope and
> comp file tomorrow.
>
> There isn't much left of the original encoder, so I'm thinking it would
> have been better to just get the sensor chip, if it's available.

In case anyone is interested, here is a picture of the setup:
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/EMC2/AEAT-6010/dcp_6888.jpg
( http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/EMC2/AEAT-6010/ )

Here is the HALscope:
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/EMC2/AEAT-6010/AEAT6010_HALscope-1a.png

which isn't all that interesting because there isn't much to see. The
top trace (blue) is the chip select (active low). The second trace down
is the data-out clock which clocks the data bits out on the rise and the
comp records on the fall. The green trace shows the value while I turned
the knob up. At 1023, the next step drops to 0 or vice-versa.

It looks like the sensor is not available separately. There are the
austriamicrosystems rotary chips, which are very attractive:
http://austriamicrosystems.com/eng/Products/Magnetic-Encoders/Rotary-Encoders

but their onesies-twosies pricing is still too high. Too bad, nice
product.

Now, I need to apply the encoder to feed and spindle override and jog. I
suppose I will need to mechanically keep the knob from wrapping, or
maybe do it in logic? Since the encoder is absolute, when it gets
enabled, it will instantly output whatever value the knob is set for. I
wonder this might become a problem? Should there be a way to
automatically move the knob to a safe setting?

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html