On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 15:14 -0500, ad...@mmri.us wrote:
> I really liked browsing through your website.
> The furnace was nice!

I need to melt cast iron, but so far I've only done aluminum. It turns
out the homemade refractory I used will melt at iron casting
temperatures. So I need to make a new furnace.

> I have the holy fear working with propane,

With practice, I'm finding it becoming much more predicable. I am
missing some forearm hair, but my eye brows are fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5-xS9sDuLg

Propane is interesting, I think because the molecule is short, so the
flame is short. My guess is the short flame causes a fairly tight
pressure wave that can feed back to the regulator causing an unstable
feedback. On propane only, the burner has a bit of a pulse jet sound and
can be hard to keep lit. I put a flare and reducer on my propane only
burner to get more of a de Laval nozzle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Laval_nozzle

This helped a lot, I think because the pressure wave is directed to the
output side of the burner. I need to do the same for the oil burner.

The oil has a much longer flame with a bunch more heat, but needs to be
vaporized before it will burn. Currently, I run the propane at idle to
get just enough of a flame to vaporize the oil, but the oil does the
heavy lifting. Eventually, the walls of the furnace glow orange and I
can turn the propane off, but by then the aluminum has been melted and
poured.

>  so I ask;
> Did you ever consider using a large TIG welder to create a small Arc oven?
> The Duty cycle on a Transformer Miller Tig seems to be good enough.
> or
> Do you know of someone who does this.
> It would be great info for me as my Syncrowave Tigs are replaced by (way
> better) HTP Tigs and I can make use of them for other purposes.
>
> L Venter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6NJuctYgxA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF8sGrdzE3o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G43rIx0d5aY

I think my Hobart could be useful for an arc furnace, but I've got a
bunch of waste oil, and more free oil is coming. I will need to plant a
bunch of trees to offset my carbon footprint, but I think trees are
pretty huggable, so that's okay.

It would be fun to try to melt some cast iron in crucible, but I need to
find a source for a crucible that can take the heat. One plan is to, get
some Mizzou and cast my own crucibles.
http://www.empire-refractory.com/catalog/mizzou-castable-plus.htm

but I need to find a local vendor.
--