Dave wrote:
> Like you guys, I'm interested in using some of these inexpensive
> encoders.  Compared to industrial units, they are a fraction of the price.
>
> The casing and wiring is obviously not "industrial" Nema 12 etc, in
> nature - no oilproof military connector on the side of the encoder and
> no bearings...

For the CUI encoder, the motor's bearings are the encoder's bearings.
There have been "kit" encoders for years that work this way.
> So how do you guys get around these issues?    Fashion some type of
> cover over the back of the motors and run the cable through a grommet?
>
> How could you use one of these encoders for a spindle encoder?   Make up
> a two bearing support system with a stub shaft that the encoder can hang
> off of?

That is how you would do it.
> I haven't heard much about US Digital's cheap encoders.   What about
> Renco encoders?  Is the consensus that those are ok?

Renco's encoders are fine, and are used inside many "name brand" motors,
such as G&L, SEM, Servo Dynamics, etc.
They were the first to integrate commutation tracks wth ABZ for
brushless motors.  They were just bought out by somebody, and their web
site was in some disarray and offline for a while.  It is now back, and
has data on their old models, too.

I'd avoid US Digital's economy line.  Enough problems have been reported
related to noise sensitivity that you just don't need to get into that
trouble.

Jon