On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com> wrote:

> I think part of the problem is if you just have bare brushless motors its
> not likely you will have a plug-and-play solution unless you have the
> matching drives, as most AC servo motors are produced to work with a
> specific driver, and running them with a generic controller _will_ involve
> some futzing about. If you want to avoid this, the best solution is to
> purchase a drive/motor combination.

I agree.  Most commercial drives will drive other manufacturers
motors, but it's not an easy task.  I have had some experience with
integrating motors, and it's really difficult to avoid learning way
too much about someone else's software, and you usually end up with an
oscilloscope hooked up to your motor spinning it by hand.  There are
brushless servo drives that will take either step/dir or +/-10V.
Getting those to work with EMC is daunting enough.  If the project is
well-funded, it's not too hard to go on ebay and buy a matching set of
motors and drives.  My only advice is to read the manuals first, I
have a collection of oddball drives and motors in my stash from before
I figured this out.
Eric Keller