Hello Gene,
for this reason I am using a plastic cover over the keyboard with
pockets for the keys (left over from delivery of the keyboard) :-))

Yes, you are right, the rarer, the more expensive. But I bought my
machine from someone who didn' have a faint idea and I got it together
with the work bench and a drawer type tool cabinet, all filled with
parts, for 50 Euros. Admittedly, you've got to find such a guy, but as I
didn't even intended to buy such a miraculous machine, I learned: Don't
try, and you'll find. As we say, it dropped right into my lap.

No, there is no mechanical work that would be impossible for the UWG. On
the Internet, there is a picture of a guy turning out the brake drum of
a large car or truck wheel without even removing the tire. You can do
rigid tapping on a tapered shaft, engrave scale lines on conic wheels,
turn cones, make 45 degree (or any other angle) gears, asymmetrical worm
wheels, hypoid gears and such, both turned and ground. The only thing
that is needed besides a lot of ingenuity is time for the changes on the
machine and for making all those very little chips, because the motor
only has 180 watts :-))

Right, there are attachments for circular sawing, a precision turntable
(which I motorized with a stepper), two XY tables in different sizes
with a vise, three chucks, a turning plate, a lot of change gear wheels
for threading, several cardan shafts, a three gear shift box, lots of
pulleys, and a grinding attachment for 20000 rpm (which is lacking on my
machine). You can also disengage the nuts and move the ways by a hand
lever for grinding. All movements are done with 1 mm pitch spindles,
which means an accuracy of 1/400 mm with an ordinary stepper. All nuts
are split to remove any play. And it is very sturdy, as the wei'ght of
300 kg for a table top machine implies. All important parts are cast
iron, precision ground. The column is a solid 100 mm bar. You can attach
dials on every axis to check precision. But, for a complete change from,
say, turning to rigid tapping I need about one and a half hour. On the
other hand, milling gears, with NC, once the machine is set up, takes
about 10 seconds per tooth.

This machine is really a miracle, but not apt for industrial production.
There are rumors that these machines were built in into submarines and
parachuted to the troops in WW II to enable them to produce any
replacement part that was needed for their military gear. All the
machines are numbered, I have the No. 506. I doubt that there were many
more of them produced than about a thousand.

Best regards
Peter