On Sunday, January 15, 2012 11:59:22 AM Fox Mulder did opine:

> Am 15.01.2012 05:25, schrieb gene heskett:
> > Hi all;
> >
> > I just spent 2 hours ogling strace output while trying to get this
> > visolate.jar to do something even if it was to tell me to go away.
> >
> > What I was doing was looking at the strace output for the first
> > instance of each library etc that it wanted to open, did a mkdir -p
> > to that location, then did an 'ls -l `locate libname' that it could
> > not find, than added a softlink from the real file to that name, in
> > that directory.  After 4 or 5 sessions of that, I no longer had any
> > file not found's output by the strace. It was finding everything it
> > wanted in that dept.
> >
> > This didn't effect the actual exit messages!
> >
> > But what I now see in the strace output is a fail of a FUTEX that
> > could have been there all along, whatever the heck that futex is.
> > From that strace:
> >
> > [snip lots of strace success lines]
> >
> > futex(0xb6a95bd8, FUTEX_WAIT, 20248, NULLException in thread "main"
> > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/media/j3d/WakeupCriterion
> >
> >         at visolate.Visolate.<init>(Visolate.java:66)
> >         at visolate.Visolate.<init>(Visolate.java:61)
> >         at visolate.Main.main(Main.java:65)

> > javax.media.j3d.WakeupCriterion
> >
> >         at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
> >         at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
> >         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
> >         at
> >         sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
> >         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247) ...
> >         3 more
> >
> > ) = 0
> > exit_group(1)
> >
> >                           = ?
> >
> > And I get the bash prompt back.
> >
> > Another strange thing is that there is an /etc/java/java.conf file
> > that says where the .jars are supposed to be, but its being ignored,
> > I must pass the full path to the .jar, or the error is "can't find
> > it" in java speak.
> >
> > Is any of this making sense to anybody?  At this point, I'm bumfuzzled
> > (or whatever your fav expression for confused is) and would seem to
> > be getting worse.  Oldtimers is hell.
>
> I don't know why but it seems to be easier to reference the java3d libs
> in windows than in linux. I tried it myself and i can't get visolate to
> find the libs in linux. So i decided to refactor the jar in eclipse and
> include the required java3d libs into the jar. So for now only the
> native opengl libs from the java3d package are needed anymore. And this
> is quite easy.
> Just download my new created visolate.jar from [1] and set the ld path
> correctly. You need to extract the two files "lib3dcode-ogl*.so" from
> the java3d zip file from [2] and copy them where you want.

For this, I chose to follow the linkage in /etc/alternatives/jre, which
links to /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun, and copied them to the subdirs in the
zip.  Then added +x perms to match the rest of those dirs contents.

> I copied them
> to /home/user/rainer/lib and after that in the console do "export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/user/rainer/lib".

I used /etc/alternatives/jre as the exported path.

> Now you can run the jar file
> with "java -jar visolate.jar".
> But the export statement is only active in the shell where it was
> executed.

Which is why I put that in my .bashrc, so it is (hopefully) not forgotten
on a reboot.  I opened a new shell but must not have put the new
visolate.jar in the right place,

[gene@coyote ~]$ java -jar visolate.jar
Unable to access jarfile visolate.jar
[gene@coyote ~]$

So I'll use the strace output and put it the first place it looks for it.

Damn, no attempt to even follow the usual java culprits path!

open("visolate.jar", O_RDONLY)          = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
write(2, "Unable to access jarfile visolat"..., 37Unable to access jarfile
visolate.jar) = 37
write(2, "\n", 1
)                       = 1
exit_group(1)                           = ?

My java install must be the single most broken install ever, and I had
synaptic re-install it ALL late yesterday.

But, if I give it the path to the .jar, it works a treat!  Its gui is open
right now, showing their sample pcb pattern.  Rainer, I have no clue where
you are from me, but picture this:  I am dressed to worship, have hat over
heart and will bow in all 4 directions just to make sure I hit the right
one!

Can I "export VISOLATE=/usr/share/java/visolate.jar" in that .bashrc?  That
would have to go into the record books as the most broken kludge ever, but
then maybe I could "java -jar $VISOLATE" from anyplace on the system? Gotta
be a better way it seems.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Now, to go play with it. ;-)

> Ciao,
>      Rainer
>
> [1] http://quakeman.homelinux.net/files/visolate.jar
> [2]
> http://download.java.net/media/java3d/builds/release/1.5.2/j3d-1_5_2-lin
> ux-i586.zip

Cheers, Gene
What's the difference between a computer salesman and a used car salesman?

A used car salesman knows when he's lying.