On Sunday, January 15, 2012 01:19:59 PM Fox Mulder did opine:

> Am 15.01.2012 18:35, schrieb gene heskett:

> >> I don't know why but it seems to be easier to reference the java3d
> >> libs in windows than in linux. I tried it myself and i can't get
> >> visolate to find the libs in linux. So i decided to refactor the jar
> >> in eclipse and include the required java3d libs into the jar. So for
> >> now only the native opengl libs from the java3d package are needed
> >> anymore. And this is quite easy.
> >> Just download my new created visolate.jar from [1] and set the ld
> >> path correctly. You need to extract the two files
> >> "lib3dcode-ogl*.so" from the java3d zip file from [2] and copy them
> >> where you want.
> >
> > For this, I chose to follow the linkage in /etc/alternatives/jre,
> > which links to /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun, and copied them to the
> > subdirs in the zip.  Then added +x perms to match the rest of those
> > dirs contents.
> >
> >> I copied them
> >> to /home/user/rainer/lib and after that in the console do "export
> >> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/user/rainer/lib".
> >
> > I used /etc/alternatives/jre as the exported path.
> >
> >> Now you can run the jar file
> >> with "java -jar visolate.jar".
> >> But the export statement is only active in the shell where it was
> >> executed.
> >
> > Which is why I put that in my .bashrc, so it is (hopefully) not
> > forgotten on a reboot.  I opened a new shell but must not have put
> > the new visolate.jar in the right place,
> >
> > [gene@coyote ~]$ java -jar visolate.jar
> > Unable to access jarfile visolate.jar
> > [gene@coyote ~]$
> >
> > So I'll use the strace output and put it the first place it looks for
> > it.
> >
> > Damn, no attempt to even follow the usual java culprits path!
> >
> > open("visolate.jar", O_RDONLY)          = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
> > directory)
> > write(2, "Unable to access jarfile visolat"..., 37Unable to access
> > jarfile visolate.jar) = 37
> > write(2, "\n", 1
> > )                       = 1
> > exit_group(1)                           = ?
> >
> > My java install must be the single most broken install ever, and I had
> > synaptic re-install it ALL late yesterday.
> >
> > But, if I give it the path to the .jar, it works a treat!  Its gui is
> > open right now, showing their sample pcb pattern.  Rainer, I have no
> > clue where you are from me, but picture this:  I am dressed to
> > worship, have hat over heart and will bow in all 4 directions just to
> > make sure I hit the right one!
> >
> > Can I "export VISOLATE=/usr/share/java/visolate.jar" in that .bashrc?
> > That would have to go into the record books as the most broken kludge
> > ever, but then maybe I could "java -jar $VISOLATE" from anyplace on
> > the system? Gotta be a better way it seems.
> >
> > Thank you thank you thank you.
> >
> > Now, to go play with it. ;-)
> >
> >> Ciao,
> >>
> >>      Rainer
> >>
> >> [1] http://quakeman.homelinux.net/files/visolate.jar
> [...]

I'd make the usual comment about great minds yadda yadda, but I think I
have amply demo'd that I am outclassed by the ravages of oldtimers and its
time I recognized that.  Thanks for the confirmation that the script was
the ideal way, it works nicely and that export line has been nuked from my
.bashrc.  I actually do quite a bit of background stuffs here, using
scripts that are launched as daemons.  For instance, fetchmail runs
periodically and what survives procmail and SA gets dumped into the
mailfile in /var.  One of those scripts sets up inotifywait to watch that
file, and when it has been closed, sends kmail a get local mail command via
dbus, so incoming mail is 100% automatic and reasonably fast as fetchmail
doesn't get a lot of time to lollygag about.

I also play the canary in the coal mine part on the amanda list, using a
script that never forgets the many ./configure options so each succeeding
alpha release is built with all the same options each time.  All of this of
course is my attempt to compensate for the failing short term memory of
oldtimers.  Generally, I get by with it. :)

Cheers, Gene
Some men are all right in their place -- if they only the knew the right
places!
                -- Mae West