On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:05:17 +0300, you wrote:

>2012/4/23 Steve Blackmore <st...@pilotltd.net>:
>>
>> What is ja3?
>
>Joints_axes3 branch in master git repository.
>
>> Is it any wonder that Joe Public has such a poor
>> opinion of EMC/LinuxCNC!! - I've been here 4 years and you've yet to
>> convince me it's not a closed shop speaking in a secret language.
>
>Steve, no offence, I do not think that I am the one to start teaching
>or giving lessons to anybody, I just think that Your attitude harms
>the project too. If You are here for 4 years, then I would expect that

None taken.

>You not only use this application, but also support it. If not with
>any input in code, then at least with some help in answering questions
>of new users and/or spreading positive information about the project
>thus improving the opinion of Joe Public. Unfortunately from Your
>posts in this mailing list and some of Your posts I have seen in
>web-forums I have not seen anything of that, so I have not yet
>understood, why are You here, because it seems to me that You are much
>more a fan of Mach.

I do give credit where it's due. I've often praised EMC/LinuxCNC, and
did so recently in the Mach forum regarding its threading and spindle
behaviour but being selective without giving the whole picture is very
misleading.

I use LinuxCNC for anything where threading is involved, for everything
else I use a 5 year old version of Mach as it behaves much more Fanuc
like with CV, feed hold etc. The current Mach offerings are buggy as
hell and unreliable.

>On the other hand, I do appreciate Your critics and the weak points of
>the LinuxCNC You have pointed out, like the jog-during-feedhold. The
>thing is that I (probably others as well, but I can speak only for
>myself here) appreciate it as long as it is constructive and has any
>argumentation. For me it helps to understand, where LinuxCNC stands,
>when compared with other CNC controllers (and I do have to provide
>these comparisons with argumentation to my customers, before I get a
>contract with a new customer).

I do a lot of support, development and OEM testing - my nature to call a
spade, a spade - it's what I get paid to do. I don't get upset by
criticism, but sometimes others do and it's got me sacked a few times -
but I've always been able to wear my "told you so" t-shirt proudly a
ways down the line :)

I'll try and keep my comments to myself and leave you guys to it.

Steve Blackmore