On Sunday 12 May 2013 10:08:08 Kent A. Reed did opine:

> On 5/12/2013 6:02 AM, Lars Andersson wrote:
> > The symbol <==> is new to me.
>
> Lars:
>
> '<=>' denotes bidirectional signal flow and is the symbol intended to
> correspond to IO pins as opposed to IN or OUT pins.
>
> Remember, though, the quote from the docs in my earlier message---these
> direction-indicator symbols are merely a convenience to the user. They
> don't communicate any information to LinuxCNC.
>
> The reason I get downright pedantic about this point is that we users
> are so used to the symbols we forget they may lie to us. If the HAL
> configuration file was generated by LinuxCNC from a loaded configuration
> then the symbols are correct according to the component declarations
> known to HAL. If the file was generated by a user using an editor then
> they may or not be correct. It won't matter to HAL when the file is
> parsed (although the actual pin connections will) but it would confuse a
> user who tries to make sense of the file.
>
> But you've already solved your problem, which is the important part of
> this thread.
>
> Regards,
> Kent

Generally, in carving up my own .hal files, I've found that when setting up
a "net" line, I can more easily parse it mentally later if I treat that
line as

net(tab)arbitrary-signal-name(tab)source-pin(tab)destination-pin(tab)destination-pin

Where the (tab)destination-pin can be repeated as needed to send a signal
several places. I can go back 6 months later and still figure out what
I was doing.  Because linuxcnc ignores all those <==> thingies, adding those
can quickly become confusing, just count tabs instead.

Cheers, Gene
My views <http://www.armchairpatriot.com/What%20Has%20America%20Become.shtml>
QOTD:
        "You want me to put *holes* in my ears and hang things from them?
        How...  tribal."
         law-abiding citizens.